Monday 24 September 2012

Artist: Wayne Reynolds

Here's a new segment on MCaD: artist's profiles. For these posts, I'll be looking at an artist's work in Magic and my personal opinions on their work (best card, worst card, most unfitting...). So, here's the first entry: Wayne Reynolds.

First, some notes on Wayne Reynolds's art style. Whether or not you know his name, you will recognize his art style. His hard, crisp lines give his work a very distinct feel and look and it usually looks really nice and unique.

Best Art: Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Sexy, rat, ninja. Seriously, who would have thought those words could co-exist in the same sentence? But, Wayne Reynolds did it and it is glorious. I love this art and it is probably one of my favourite pieces of art from Kamigawa block entirely.  

Worst Art: Soulblast
Soulblast
I just don't like this art simply because it looks too silly. It really looks like the creature being burned is screaming "I'm meeeellllllttttingg...!" and it looks really cartoony. I know that Wayne was trying to go for an image of horrific burning, but it just doesn't fit. Also, the three guys in the bottom left look like they're calling a football game.

Most Ill-Suited: Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
Tariel, Reckoner of Souls
Metal? Yes. Awesome? Yes. Does it make sense? No. This art is just too full of lines and tassels, almost to the point of looking like a Rob Liefeld character from the 90s. I just think a much cleaner and neater picture would have done a lot better.

And those are my thoughts on Wayne Reynolds. Wayne, if you're reading, keep doing what you're doing. You're easily one of the best artists for Magic right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment