Friday 20 June 2014

Vodalian Mage

Vodalian Mage

Before I look at this card proper, I want you to find the tiny error in this card. I'll give you a minute.

*Jeopardy music*

Time's up! Find it? Well, maybe the other two arts for this card will help you out a bit:
Vodalian MageVodalian Mage

That's right! Susan van Camp must not have gotten the memo that it's a Merfolk. It's not my misreading of her style either, she's done Merfolk before. This leads me to believe that the grouper in the corner is, in fact, the mage and not the humanoid.

Onto the card itself, it's not bad. People run Force Spike to keep opponents off tempo, and a repeatable Force Spike is pretty cool. It's a relevant creature type and its ability isn't over-costed. The only issues I have with it are its cost and its power/toughness. I'd have much rather seen this as a 2/2 for 3 or a 1/1 for 2. Then again, this is from back in the era when blue creatures were terrible, so this deficiency is understandable. It's an alright card for what it does.

Pros: Force Spike on a stick
Cons: Weak stick
Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment